Monday, December 7, 2015

Introducing: The Eulogy Project

Over the past several years I've watched (and participated in) our country's debate over gun violence and how to reduce it. Personally, I would like to see fewer guns overall, and I think we have a lot of work to do in terms of keeping guns away from people who shouldn't have them. That said, I don't want to live in a place where personal gun ownership is outlawed, and I have utmost respect for people who use guns for subsistence hunting or other utilitarian needs.

As the debate has continued I've grown more and more concerned with how to have this discussion in a way that engages everyone and moves toward real understanding and an attitude of problem solving. I see people continuing to talk over and past one another, without much expansion of understanding of the "other side". Numbers, data, and statistics are quoted over and over again on both sides, and yet the more we focus on the numbers the less it seems we understand one another.

In the interest of growing understanding and finding a place to begin a deeper conversation, I've decided to share the stories of people who have lost their lives to gun violence, as told to me by loved ones they have left behind. Anyone who has lost a loved one to gun violence is welcome to contact me to share their story, from anywhere in the world. I will interview you by phone for 10-15 minutes, write the story about your loved one and how the loss has affected you, and submit it to you for approval before publishing it here on my blog. In this way I hope to open a new level of discussion regarding guns and violence in the United States, and around the world.

If you're interested in contributing to this project, please contact me at katie@katiekadwell.com. Thank you.

No comments: